Smoothie Bowls

I don't like breakfast. I have to eat it because one it's important but also because if I don't there is a 99% chance I will faint (this has happened (in front of my whole class) and it was really embarrassing.) I love smoothies because they are filling, easy to make and taste nice.


A few months ago my family went to Edinburgh to visit my uncle and while we were there we went and had breakfast in a small cafe called called Skylark Cafe. My dad got a smoothie bowl (I didn't and I soon regretted my decision). I had seen them before because every food Instagram account seemed to have a million pictures of them but I had never made them. I personally like making mine quite thick because otherwise it feels like I'm eating cold soup. 


You can really make smoothie bowls your own and if you're creative you can make it look like a piece of art. (Look at the Instagram account @smoothiebowls for inspiration). And if you're lazy you can dump all the toppings on top. I don't really experiment with the flavours much but my mum thinks that a bit of almond butter in some smoothies may be nice. 



The smoothie itself is based on Top With Cinnamon's blueberry smoothie recipe. The amounts listed are enough for one person.


Ingredients;

125g blueberries (I use frozen)
1 banana, peeled and sliced thinly
100-130 ml apple juice 

Put all of the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth. If you want the smoothies to have a soft ice cream texture then add in the least amount of juice whereas if you want the smoothie to be a bit like cold soup then add more juice. Pour the smoothie into a bowl and add a range of toppings. You can do granola, fresh fruit, nuts and seeds, desiccated coconut (or coconut flakes) etc. Go crazy and be creative!





Comments

Popular Posts