Mini Custard Tarts

I just discovered how to schedule posts on this blog and I am very excited. I am going to be pretty busy over the next few weeks because I am doing my DofE, going to a birthday party and I start Year 10 which means I will be becoming steadily busier. Now I will be able to post even when I am busy as long as I plan ahead. Yay! 

I made these tarts ages ago and never blogged (this seems to becoming a common theme. sorry.). They were inspired by some mini Portuguese tarts that my parents and I got when we went to Coffee No.1. 

They do need only egg yolks so you will have 5 egg whites left over. You can make meringues using them or alternatively you can use them to make coconut macaroons. The recipe for macaroons will be coming next week so look out for that. 


 





Instructions;

1 1/2 cups double cream
1/2 cup light cream
5 large egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 quantity of pastry (use the recipe in the Lemon Meringue Pie post)


Method;

Preheat your oven to 160°C. Roll out your pastry and cut out circles that will fit into the holes of a muffin tray. Place them in. To make the custard, combine the creams in a small pan and heat the mixture over a low heat until the top of it shimmers (about 5 minutes). Remove from the heat and continue to gently stir to prevent a skin from forming.

In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together until the mixture begins to thicken and is pale yellow in colour. Stir in a large spoonful of warm cream to prevent curdling. Continue to stir in the cream, a few spoonfuls at a time. Stir in the vanilla. Spoon the custard into your prepared pastry cases. If you have any excess custard, spoon it directly into the muffin tray to make custard cups. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the custard is wobbly but set. Transfer to a wire rack and let the cool completely. Enjoy!


  




Comments

Popular Posts