The Crucible

As some of you may know I am in San Francisco right now. We are staying in the city but we stayed the first two nights with our close friends in Oakland.

About half an hour after arriving in their house we went to pick up their son from camp. He was doing a camp at a place called The Crucible. It is basically this huge warehouse where they doing making classes. You can make jewelry, do enamelling, make neon signs, gizmos, glassblowing, blacksmithing etc. We came on this holiday to mainly see friends but they are all working during the day and the kids are at camp. This meant that we did not have much to do during the day. There is nothing like the Crucible in Wales and so we signed up to do it.



My sister did the Gizmos course where she made robots and learned about robotics. I signed up to do a Neon class with my close friend Mila.

In my neon class I learned how to bend glass into different shapes. In the third day of the five day course we started working on a project. I decided to make a pineapple. The camp was three hours a day for one week. 

I had a great time and learned so much about glass, how you bend glass, and neon signs. If you are looking for a camp on the Bay Area and you like arts and creating things I would really recommend the Crucible.







This is my sister's flying firefly. Is it not awesome?



The next problem is talking it home without breaking. It is made of glass tubing and we have to travel with it on an aeroplane for a couple of thousand miles. Let's hope it survives...


Millie xxx





Comments

Popular Posts