Chocolate Fudge Birthday Cake

Every birthday needs a cake. It is a rule of life that I like to follow. My birthday is on the 28th of August aka today and my best friend's is two days later so being logical we had a joint birthday party. I was on cake duty and made the most amazing chocolate fudge cake which was from Ruby Tandoh's cookbook Crumb. Since I was making that cake my mum said that I had to let her make the cake on my actual birthday which was fair but slightly annoying.





The actually icing on the cake did not look that nice because the cake broke and I had to plaster it back together. I certainly learnt that my cake decorating and piping skills need a little bit of work but I kind of expected that. 

The actual cake was really moist, even when it was finished three days after it was baked. I used a chocolate buttercream recipe that I found on the internet which I will leave a link too. I took off a quarter of the sugar amount and didn't add it because we didn't want it to be overly sweet. I had to double the icing recipe so that I had enough to cover the top, sides and middle of the cake.

Recipe based on Ruby Tandoh's from her cookbook Crumb.


Ingredients:

200g dark chocolate
200g butter, cubed
4 large eggs
200ml milk
100g soft dark brown sugar
160g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1/4 tsp salt


Method:

Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line two 20cm round cake tins. They work better if they are loose bottomed or spring form.

Melt the chocolate in a microwave in short bursts or in a bowl suspended over a bowl of simmering water. Take it off the heat and add in the butter, stirring until it has melted. Whisk the eggs, milk and both types of sugar together. Add the chocolate and butter mixture into the eggs, milk and sugar mixture.

In another bowl combine all of the dry ingredients. Add them into the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.

Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let the cakes cool for about 5-10 minutes in their tins before turning them out onto a wire rack to finish cooling them. Once they are completely cool you can ice them with a buttercream or some other type of icing.


The buttercream recipe that I used: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate_buttercream_11918







Comments

Popular Posts