The ingredients: flour, flour, sugar, butter, vanilla....
The dough was ready to roll..
I cut them into rectangles.
Baked and golden..
So many. So so many...
This recipe is from Sam Stern. So quick, so simple, and so good.
200g butter, well softened
75g caster sugar, plus extra for rolling
150g plain flour
150g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla essence
1. Preheat the oven to 150° C/300°F . Grease two baking trays with a bit of extra butter. Line with baking paper (optional).
2. Cream really soft butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon. Beat until the mixture is pale and soft.
3. Sift in the flours. Add vanilla essence. Beat everything together with a spoon, then finish off using your hands to pull the dough together into a smooth soft ball.
4. Put the dough on a surface lightly dusted with flour and sugar. Roll out the dough to about 5 mm/1/4 in thick. Cut out rounds or cool shapes with a cutter. Place on baking tray.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar, Leave on the tray to firm up, then store in a airtight container.